Saturday, September 24, 2005


Free, Legal Music Online


This article brought to you courtesy of http://www.mp3itrocks.com


Almost everyone has heard about the massive crack down on Internet music piracy that has been occurring over the past few years. Napster was taken down (although it has now returned as a pay service), other file sharing programs now require users to pay for a license and the RIAA and other similar organizations are doing their best to hunt down copyright offenders and put an end to their crime sprees. The consumers on the other hand argue that their actions hurt nobody, that there is no damage done to anyone by their not buying an album. Furthermore, they claim, MP3s allow them to sample a CD before purchasing it, thus actually helping sales.

I'm not here to argue the pros and cons. Basically it's not worth it, as neither side of the argument will ever see the opposition's point of view. What I'd like to do is take a look at the completely free and legal alternative to 'stealing' music. Those wonderfully talented musicians who are willing to put their creations online to download for free, solely for the joy of spreading their creations to the masses.

Free music is surprisingly easy to come by, even music by famous bands. Sometimes it needs to be 'streamed' from the Internet, meaning that you can only listen to a song while you're online, but with the ever-growing popularity of broadband Internet this is really no longer a problem. Sites such as MP3.com and purevolume.com provide free music by almost any band you can think of, although there is a large amount of it that has to be streamed and not downloaded. A search for 'free legal MP3 downloads' will reveal a huge number of pages to visit.

For something specific, try visiting the artist's website, or the site of their record label. These will often offer a few sample tracks to download for free. It's not quite as convenient as having access to every song that you want, but it's not a bad alternative.

But how about we forget about the mainstream for just a while and move towards the alternative? Towards the hopefuls, the talented bands that have yet to be 'noticed'. There are a huge number of these smaller bands out there that are sticking their stuff online for any and all to listen to, just so that they can be heard. These can be easier to find, because most MP3 sites will be filled with these smaller acts. A great place to start is http://www.garageband.com/ or the aforementioned http://purevolume.com

The great thing about smaller bands is that you can often find bands that come from your local area and then go and see them play live. Being able to see a favourite band live more than once a year (or lifetime) without expending huge amounts of money and time is pretty cool. Many music search engines will let you search for bands of a particular genre in a particular area, which makes it all quite easy.

A fairly major contributor to the online music scene is the remixer. These people take other tunes and redo them, often in a techno style because one person can do this competently. Chief among the tunes selected to be remixed are those old ditties that used to play through the simplest of sound chips on now aging consoles: the video game theme songs. People now go and grab the main tune line from an old favourite and fill it out, making real the work our imaginations used to do for us to turn the single tone melodies into orchestral masterpieces. A few good places to start are http://remix.kwed.org and http://remix.overclocked.org as well as a personal favourite band http://machinaesupremacy.com

I hope this has given you something to think about. It's not hard to come across illegal MP3 rips, in fact it's often hard to avoid them, but if you give the free music scene a look you may find something completely different and new that will really do it for you. With web hosts already being penalized hugely for illegal content being stored on their servers (having an entire server taken down because of one inconsiderate user is damaging and irritating beyond belief) and moves being made to charge ISPs for the content being accessed by their users, it makes more sense than ever to get out there and grab yourself an awesomely original and completely legal music collection.



About the Author


Daniel Punch
M6.Net Web Hosting
http://www.m6.net
Daniel Punch is a University student gathering a large music collection to keep himself going during those long nights of 'study' (also known as 'playing video games')



18 Comments:

Blogger blog and ping said...

Nice blog. I found another site where you can get free MP3 downloads. music lyric

2:12 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hi there, It never ceases to amaze me of the quality of blogs that can be found. Yours is very interesting indeed!

I have a article directories website pertaining to article directories.

Check us out sometimes. :)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Anorexia said...

Hey, nice blog and great info!
If you're interested in abortion article
and you're looking for information and resources custom fit to your specific needs, check out my new abortion article
site.
Come and check it out if you get time I would really appreciate it :-)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Memcco P2P said...

Blogging is still new to me MP3. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until about 6 months ago. Wow, there are so many of them it's amazing. Now they're everywhere. And it seems like everyone has one but me. I was looking for websites with info about peer to peer. Then I decided to try blogs. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com for all the music and movie lovers out there, and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a lttle bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks MP3, Mike

3:38 PM  
Blogger MikeMc46 said...

Hello there MP3, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for peer to peer related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

6:06 PM  
Blogger MikeMc346 said...

Hi MP3, I was looking for filesharing software related info for my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and thought I would check out some blog sites. I get sidetracked easily these days....getting old...lol. It was an interesting read. Thanks, mike

10:08 PM  
Blogger Memcco said...

Hello there MP3, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for mp3 music sharing related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

11:21 PM  
Blogger MikeMc46 said...

Hey MP3, nice blog site. Seems everybody has one of these blog sites except me. Even my sister has one, but she just likes to complain about everything....and I really mean everything. You know, the world sucks, etc...lol. She started it after her boyfriend dumped her. Originally I started out searching websites looking for mp3 music sharing related info to improve the traffic at my site http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com; then I decided to try blog sites. There are so many of them it's unbelievable. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until last year. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks MP3, Mike

4:01 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Hi MP3,
I was looking for information about p2p file sharing when I came accross your blog. this post doesn't answer all of my questions but it sure looks like it'll be useful. I'm off to find more resources on p2p file sharing. Good luck and keep it up.

2:34 PM  
Blogger MikeMc46 said...

Hello there MP3, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for file sharing related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

5:09 PM  
Blogger MikeMc46 said...

MP3. Some of these blog sites have more info on them than the regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for file sharing related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody has one but me. Anyway, I'm trying to improve the traffic flow to my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use but got sidetracked again. Back to my search. Had fun though. Thanks MP3, Mike

6:01 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Hi MP3,
I was researching file sharing related stuff when I found your blog. While this post wasn't exactly what I was after, it made interesting reading so I'll be sure to pop by again. I'm off to find out more information about file sharing. Keep up the good work.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Here here! Nice writing. There is definitely something to be said for free music, legally is even better.

I have an article directories website pertaining to free info for everyone.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Very interesting.

My article free music site has lots of info pertaining to article free music.

Come visit sometime :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Hi MP3,
I was researching file sharing software related stuff when I found your blog. While this post wasn't exactly what I was after, it made interesting reading so I'll be sure to pop by again. I'm off to find out more information about file sharing software. Keep up the good work.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

MP3,
I have been researching p2p file sharing resources and I stumbled upon your blog. Although this post isn't what I was really after, it made a change from the usual run-of-the-mill blogs I normally seem to find. I'm going now to find more information on p2p file sharing. Take care.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Very interesting.

My article search site has lots of info pertaining to article searches.

Come visit sometime :)

5:43 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Hi MP3,
I was researching file sharing software related stuff when I found your blog. While this post wasn't exactly what I was after, it made interesting reading so I'll be sure to pop by again. I'm off to find out more information about file sharing software. Keep up the good work.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home